Sunday, July 17, 2011

World Cup Notes...

So, around the 80th minute of the match, while Blair was painting her toenails we had this conversation:Blair: "I want a shootout"
Me: "So, you want Japan to score?"
Blair: "No, I want a shootout"
Me: "Well, we are winning, so Japan has to score before we can have a shootout"
Blair: "OH NO! Nevermind, I don't want them to score, I want us to just win, I forgot we were ahead"

It was the next minute (the 81st) when Japan scored their first goal, so Blair jinxed the first goal, you can blame her. 

Then, in the second OT, after Hope crashed into her own player and Japan was setting up for the corner kick, I said: "They better not score on this corner, because Solo is hurt now and we'll lose if this goes to PK's" Probably 10 seconds later Japan scored and Blair exclaimed "You jinxed it!! I'll take the blame for the first one but the second one was all your fault!"

As we went on to see Solo's injury wasn't much of a factor in PK's, since we couldn't put the ball in  a decent spot on goal (kinda the story of the whole game). I'm calling it a choke job. 

Another thing, Ian Darke seems like a knowledgable announcer but maybe he should recognize he's not announcing the game to a bunch of Brits.  Lose some of the British slang phrases, and adopt a couple American phrases, Thanks.

And one more, Paraguay was playing Brazil in the Men's Copa America (currently in PK's and Brazil is choking) at the same time as the Women's World Cup Final (I was flipping back and forth between the 2).  I wonder what would have happened had Brazil's Womens Team made the WC final.  What game would the country watch, or would they alter the times of the games, (I imagine they were kind of pre set), I can't imagine they would want both teams playing at the same time.  It didn't happen, so it doesn't really matter, just thinking out loud. And
.
.
.
.
.
.
GANA PARAGUUUUUUAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! Brazil makes exactly 0 PK's and Paraguay advances in the Copa America... and my mood has done a 180 (I am officially over the women's loss). Aguanta Paraguay!!!!!!

1 comment:

Paige Taylor Evans said...

I think Chris jinxed the US too. Any time he watches sports the team he wants to win loses.