Friday, September 6, 2013

Beach Day


It has been so hot this week! The beach was the perfect escape. Well, as long as we stayed under the umbrella or stuck our feet in the cold ocean water. Reese discovered she likes sand. Particularly the wet sand down by the water. It was the only sand she ate. It was so fun watching her crawl around on the wet sand after the wave would rescind. Then as a wave would come, I would pick her up and dip her feet in the water. She would kick her legs excitedly and was not bothered by the cold temperature one bit.





After a wonderful afternoon at the beach, the ride home was not so enjoyable. It was just Reese and I in the car. I thought it was the perfect time to leave because she would fall asleep on the way and we would almost be home when she woke up. After checking the traffic on my phone, I decided to take the 105 to the 710. Well, after getting off the 105 I came to a complete stop. The 710 was dead locked. Of course when I stopped, Reese woke up. She was not happy that the sun was in her eyes and she was getting hungry. I checked my phone again and the entire 710 was RED. There was a car accident and the freeway was reduced to ONE lane. It took forever to get to the next exit after merging on and Reese was bawling. Apparently everyone else wanted to get off the 710 and go up side roads as well, so we were still creeping along.  I knew I needed to pull over and nurse Reese, but the neighborhood seemed so sketchy. There were bars on windows, homeless people walking the streets, and no public parking lots. I felt bad making Reese wait even longer, but I thought it best to drive a little further to find a parking lot. We ended up in the parking lot of Toys R Us and Starbucks. Reese was absolutely thrilled to get out of the carseat and eat. Unfortunately, I put her right back in the carseat because we still had a long way to get home. She continued to cry most of the way home, but found some comfort in holding my hand and listening to me sing. She about had a come apart when I had to drive with both hands.

Long story short, we left El Porto beach at 3:30pm and arrived home at 6:00pm. Given the fact that it only took us 35 minutes to get there, it was a joke! At least we made it home safe and sound.

1 comment:

Kirby and Tara Farnsworth said...

ugh!!! That is the worst drive ever!! When Owen was a baby he just plain hated his carseat so driving to and from St. george was a nightmare...and that was only 2 hours. I'd have to go 20 minutes and then pull over. then I'd go 25 and pull over and hold him, rock him, calm him down, etc...and put him back in immediately he'd start crying...but I felt really bad making him cry for 2 hours, so I'd give him breaks...he would most likely tire himself out, but it was just awful as a mom feeling so helpless.